We, Steve and Emilee, being goodly parents to our daughter, Alanna, having been highly favored of the Lord in all our days, therefore we make a record of our proceedings in our days.
Friday, March 30, 2018
Medulloblastoma
Our dear Alanna is diagnosed with Medulloblastoma (childhood brain cancer). I am saddened by the treatments she will have to endure. However; I know she is a very strong willed child and not everyone can make it through something like this. But I know Alanna can, she is and has always been a true fighter.
What's next? She has a Lumbar Puncture scheduled for this Monday April 2, 2018. This is similar to an epidural. Spinal fluid will be taken out of her spine so that it can be studied at the molecular level. This way they can find out how far the cancer cells have spread.
If there are cancer cells spread to her spine then she has a very aggressive cancer. She would be checked into the hospital for a very long time and be given extensive chemotherapy treatments. They also will take some of her stem cells and save them for her for later when they can give them back to boost her immune system.
If there are no cancer cells in her spine then it is a lower risk cancer. In this case she would check into the hospital for 6-7 weeks where she will be given radiation treatments five days a week. After the radiation treatments she would be able to go home and then go to the hospital one day a week for 9 months to receive chemotherapy.
She needs physical and occupational therapy to restore her mobility. She does not need speech therapy. She passed the audio test with flying colors. And she is still her brilliant self. She will have a central line placed so she will not longer need the IV lines.
As I was talking to her day I understood a little more of how this tremendous trial is part of God's plan. First, a little background information: Steve and I tried for five years to bear a child. We couldn't. God's plan had been for Steve to get his MA at the University of Connecticut. He worked as a teacher's assistant teaching Spanish class. He was able to get CT state insurance through that job which covered an extensive list of medical opportunities. One thing that was completely covered was fertility treatments. Steve and I were able to go through what we thought at the time was our one big trial for life: bearing a child through In-vitro fertilization. It was hard but God was with us each step and just before we moved to Southern California we became pregnant with our daughter after only one round of In-vitro. I know that the things I learned from this trial has prepared me for today. Because of the conversation I had with her:
Alanna, "Mommy why do some grownups have a hard time getting babies?"
Me, "Some grown ups like me and Daddy's tummys don't work right and they have to go to the doctor. I was poked and bugged and had to go to the hospital to get you in my tummy. But you were so important and I wanted you so badly I did it. And I am so glad I did."
Alanna, "I hate it when they poke me and bug me."
Me, "You have something called brain cancer that makes you really sick. The doctors have to poke you and bug you so they can get rid of the cancer. But you are so important and God wants you to get better."
I saw the light shine in her eyes as she began to understand what is happening and why.
We don't always understand God's plan but I can see God's miracles in my life. I have been prepared all my life to be by my daughter's side as she fights brain cancer. God has prepared me “. . .line upon line, precept by precept, here a little and there a little. . .” (Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 28: 30). God has slowly given me harder and harder trials all my life until this one. Alanna is a very special little girl, we had to be strong and fight to bring her here to Earth. She will need to fight now to be rid of cancer. I have faith that she will do it. God has prepared her and me so that we can grow in our faith in Christ.
The doctor called Alanna's condition, "Curable". Let us have hope and faith now. She is in the best medical care. Curable will be a complete reality.
Thank you for all of your prayers, love, packages, visits.. We have been so grateful and touched by the response from our community.
Love,
Emilee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love and hugs from the Betz family. We miss you all. Emilee, I know you have been prepared for this time. My heart pours out love to you all.
ReplyDeleteEmilee, We haven't seen each other probably since grandpa's funeral. I'm so sorry to hear about Alanna. My mom let me know today. Alanna and your family will be in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteJeneal (Barnes) Luft